As most of you know, I am currenlty working part-time as a speech assistant. I love what I do. I have 22 kids but it only comes to about 15 hours a week but luckily I get paid well so it all evens out. I informed my boss about 2 months ago that I needed full time work and she understood if I interviewed with school districts or other private contracters for a full-time position in the Fall. So about 2 weeks ago I interviewed with 2 Speech Pathologists and they offered me an SLPA position for full time at $20 an hour with insurance compensation and so I told them I would think about it and let them know. They offered to have me come and shadow them a few times at their schools to get a better idea if it was something I wanted to do. So I talked to my mom and Steven and decided I would take this job.
The next day at work, Amanda, my boss, asked me if I had interviewed with anyone and I informed her of this job offer. She then told me that she would give me all her campuses (4), $22 an hour, meet their insurance compensation and give me full-time if I would stay. That is about 50-60 kids!! How could I refuse! So I thought about it for a day, and then told her I would stay with her. I love working with her and she is amazing at what she does. I couldn't ask for a better mentor and she graduated from BYU, got married a lot older, and we just have a lot in common. Well I am not married yet, but I am getting older:) Anyhow, she also told me that once I get my Speech Tech license she will DOUBLE my payrate. I have to pass the AEPA exam on March 27th and take an online class through NAU which will qualify me for 50 university observational hours. Basically the state requires this but BYU only gave me 25 and the state purposely makes it difficult for you to find another 25 but hopefully I will get accepted to NAU as a non-degree seeking student so I can take this one class. So it will be quite the headache to get there, but hopefully by August, I will be a licensed speech technician making $44 an hour. Cross your fingers and say a prayer. I am very excited because a tech licnese qualifies me to do evaluations and testing and IEP write-ups. And it is perfect experience before I eventually make the plunge into grad school. In the meantime, I am satisfied with pursuing a tech license.
So the point of all this is I am getting a new car soon. Hopefully sooner then later but my brother Spencer gets home in August and he will need a car so I am handing down to him my Corolla also known as: LOLA. She has been incredible to me and never once has she ever broken down. Not once!! And I lived in freakin Provo for 3 years with snow and ice and slush and fog and all that junk and she was perfect. It will be difficult to part with her but I think I will get over it:
Because this is what I hope to purchase one day. This is a 2010 Nissan Murano but I have also been looking at the Mazda Cx7, Kia Sorento, Nissan Rogue and so on. I have so much work stuff with books, games, folder, all my files, toys and it will get worse in the Fall so I need a car with a hutchback and I love the SUV compact cars. Plus, when I eventually get married, it is easier to pack kids around in. I want to be smart about this purchase but I am very excited. I like either the black, cream, pearl or the deep, deep red colors. I will keep you posted on the AEPA exam, the NAU class and a new car purchase. My hard work in school is finally paying off...but I still have a headache thinking about how crazy these next 6 months will be. But...that's life!

7 comments:
Bekah!!!! that is awesome news! Congrats! I'm looking into SLPA jobs as a backup plan if grad school doesn't workout this year. Wish me luck!
Wow! Look at you! Congrats! Looks like you're doing well :)
Yay! Just the update I was looking for. Congrats on the job! That is soo awesome! And good luck on the car hunt. Did I tell you we sold my green car a month ago? Yep, we're looking for a car too! xoxo
Congrats on the job that is amazing! Good luck on the exam and class.
WOW! Bekah, that is SO DANG AWESOME! Congrats! I can't wait to go joyriding in your new whip.
That is really exciting! I'm glad you have a great job and are going to be able to double your pay soon! That is really awesome! You deserve it!
ps-we have a kia sorento and it's been a great little mini suv for us, we fit 2 kids in there comfortably!
Congrats Bekah! That's so exciting!
Just a heads up - we had Kia - and it was the worst made car ever! It had a 100K mile warranty, but it was in the shop every month or so to get fixed (not joking!) and at 60K miles, it needed a new transmission...maybe we just got a lemon, I don't know!
Good luck in the car hunt & getting the tech license!
Post a Comment