It was a good Valentine's Day Weekend along with celebrating Dallin's 18th birthday. We started out Saturday by making valentines and cookies with Kaden and Jack. They were so enthralled with the stickers and huge hearts. And of course eating the cookies instead of frosting.
Such a handsome boy!
We then went to the park and of course I locked my keys in my car but my Dad was somehow able to open my door with a long pole. It was very impressive since my window wasn't cracked very much.
And then celebrating Dallin's 18th birthday. Here is my sister Rachel...enough said.
I tried my hand at the Red Velvet Cake from "The Pioneer Woman Cooks" and it tasted really good and moist but my layering and frosting didn't turn out anything like the pictures in the book. In fact it didn't look very good at all but next time, I think I will make cupcakes. My mom said you need a confectioners oven for these kinds of cakes but that is way over my head so I will take what I can get. The recipe is at the bottom.
Here is Dallin so excited about his cake.
And sweet baby Nixon. He is only 3 months old but getting so big so fast.
And the flowers Steven surprised me with. Love you!!
So here is how you make the Red Velvet Cake:
Ingredients for cake:
1 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
2 ounces red food coloring
1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 1/2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese at room temp.
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) UNSALTED butter
1 1/2 pound powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray 2 round 10-inch non stick pans. Blend together the sugar and shortening using an electric mixer. Set aside. Combine the flour and salt. Set aside. Mix the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and baking soda and vinegar in a separate bowl. Alternate the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture in the mixing bowl, after each addition. In a small bowl, mix the red food coloring and the cocoa powder. Pour into the mixing bowl. Mix until just combined but do not overbeat. Pour the batter evenly into the cake pans and bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 20 minutes or so before removing from pans. Be sure to cool completely before icing.
Now for the icing...place cream cheese and butter in mixing bowl and whip until smooth. Sift powdered sugar and add to the bowl. Add salt and mix. Add the vanilla until smooth. Then place one layer down on a cake plate or pedestal. Ice bottom layer with 1/3 of icing. Place the other cake layer on top face down. Ice the top. Then ice the sides with the remaining icing. Be careful so you don't loosen crumbs. I had a hard time making it look smooth but I will have to try it again. Be sure to refrigerate the cake for 20 minutes before serving. I served it with vanilla ice cream. Delicious. Enjoy!!













3 comments:
I love the Pioneer Woman! One of my favorite cookbooks!
Red Velvet is the ultimate yum in cake flavors. Have you had a sprinkles red velvet cupcake...pure evil!
Your nephews are adorable!
I love layered cakes! I have also tried to make a few myself, but I have not been able to master the tecnique.
Post a Comment