About Me

I graduated from BYU in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology and I am working as an SLPL at a school district. I enjoy it and it keeps me SUPER busy. I also teach spin classes at LA Fitness. I refuse to ever pay for a gym membership. I live with 2 awesome girls: Erika and Christina. I love Diet Dr. Pepper, ritz crackers, bunny tracks ice cream, shopping, cooking, sleeping, reading, and working out. I have the 4 cutest nephews in the world: Kaden, Jack, Nixon and Bentley and 1 adorable niece: Alena. This is my simple yet really awesome life!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Book Review



I love the fact that I can read whatever I want now. It has been so great. Here is what I have been up to...
I started this piece of trash and about half way through...I just couldn't keep reading. Call me prude but I just started to get so uncomfortable with all the crazy talk. I may be offending a few right now and I am sorry for that.

But I will admit I CANNOT wait for the movie that comes out this Friday. I doubt the movie has the F word 500 times or them doing the naughty every 5 minutes.


I finished this book a couple of weeks ago and it was incredible. I found it so interesting and easy to read. My friends Chase and Danny have been telling me to read it for like 3 years now and I finally got around to it.

We live in such a great country. (Well we did until "he who cannot be named"was elected. But that is a whole different post). We as a people can not even begin to fathom the kinds of sacrifices our founding fathers made to allow us to live in a free country. The British Army was far more qualified, experienced, equipped and much larger in numbers. (We are talking 20,000 men against 4,000). Most of the men from the American army were farmers, school teachers, blacksmiths, tradesmen and so forth and never carried a rifle, let alone fought in a war. Some even fought without shoes, with tattered clothing, and dirt streaked faces. Many died from exposure to harsh weather and freezing temperatures or from illness and lack of hygiene.

It was neat to see throughout the book the hand of Heavenly Father leading these inexperienced men. There were a few cases where the weather would take a drastic change therefore the British were not able to attack the Americans. There was one scenerio where the fog was so thick during one of the battles on the British side, you were not even able to see your hand, but on the American side, it was a clear as day.

George Washington, Nathaniel Greene, Henry Knox, John Adams and many others were men prepared to lead this country hundreds of years ago so the Gospel could be restored in a country where freedom of religion would reign.


This was suggested by Stacie and Kelli and if you are looking for a classic fictional read, you need to read this. By reading the summary on the back, my first thoughts were, "Ya right...like I am going to read this." But I actually read it in 5 days. I couldn't put it down. The first 80 pages I even flew through and it is the most boring part of the book.

It is well written, well researched and very entertaining. I found it simple to follow and very detail specific. The amount of details the author is able to compile for your imagination is fantastic. Who ever can be stranded in the middle of the ocean for 8 months with a Bengal Tiger on board, takes my vote as a freakin stud!



And finally..."Secret Life of Bees". I have seen the movie a few times and loved it and it got me to thinking that I need to read the book. I am about three quarters of the way through and am thouroughly enjoying it. The movie follows the book very closely but books are ALWAYS better then the movies and I am remembering why as I read this book.

I enjoy the character development for Lily and Rosaleen and the "calendar girls". That is why books are always better. I enjoy Kidd's style of writing because this book is seen through the eyes of a child, since Lily is the main character, but she does it in a way where you forget that you are really not 14 and living with a bee keeper. I am anxious to keep reading and see if the book ends the same way as the movie.


8 comments:

salena said...

I love a good book, I'll have to check those out.
...except for that time travelers garbage, of course..Lame! Wait, why did you not like it again?

Judy/Mom said...

Would Life of Pi be good to read to 6th Graders? What age level is it?

I loved The Secret Life of Bees and am always trying to get peoplet to read it. Have you read "These is My Words"? It is so seriously good and a 3 book series. Loved it!

donelle said...

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! I love it when people blog about the books they have read. Especially since I've always wanted to read 1776, but never had had the time because of school. That is now on the top of my list of books to read!

I recently finished the series "The Great & Terrible." It's written by the LDS author Chris Stewart. I HIGHLY recommend them. I couldn't put them down. There are 6 books in the series...but they're not super long like the HP books.

Right now I'm reading "The Count of Monte Cristo." It is VERY different from the movie. Similar plot...but still very different. I highly recommend it as well.

Nelson Family said...

thanks for the info...I am always looking for a good book...you just saved me time so I don't have to read the back of several books and money so I don't waste it on a lousy book! :)

Lyndsay said...

So all the reviews for the book The Time Travelers Wife are good, everyone raves about how great it is, blah blah blah, so I was waiting for this book to get good.... it never really did. You arent missing anything by not finishing it. In fact my sister stopped reading by the 4th chapter so its not just you. Im hoping the movie is way better than the book since the book in my opinion was dull, and yes filled with some unnecessary words- among other things.

Stacy said...

I was at Bookman's a few months ago and I had 1776 in my hands! For some reason I put it down, I can not believe it looking back! I could slap myself sometimes!! :) Have you ever read "The Real Thomas Jefferson" or "The Real Benjamin Franklin?" There's some good books to read on http://www.nccs.net/ if you liked 1776!

Joanna said...

Hey girl, I am here in Mesa too. school starts in about a week so that's about all I have going for me right now. We should hang out; I want to see you! I saw amy a while back and it made me miss the two of you.

Nelson Family said...

Hey Bekah...that question is funny about Joey & Raegan!:) Yes, it looks like they are going to go through with it this time...they are both so happy and both so ready now! We are so looking forward to the big day...November 28th. Make sure I get your address because you will definately be invited! I hope all is going very well for you as well!!