About Me

I graduated from BYU in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology and I am working as an SLPL at a school district. I enjoy it and it keeps me SUPER busy. I also teach spin classes at LA Fitness. I refuse to ever pay for a gym membership. I live with 2 awesome girls: Erika and Christina. I love Diet Dr. Pepper, ritz crackers, bunny tracks ice cream, shopping, cooking, sleeping, reading, and working out. I have the 4 cutest nephews in the world: Kaden, Jack, Nixon and Bentley and 1 adorable niece: Alena. This is my simple yet really awesome life!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Post Graduation

I can't sleep.  So my mind has wandered back to this memory.  It has been one year since this happened:


I graduated from college.  These past few weeks have been especially difficult and it has made me reflect back to when things were more simple.  But the grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side.  I remember being in school and thinking back to when things were easier.  But that is the beauty of life.  It never gets easier, but your capability to handle life, gets stronger.  Well that is the goal at least, right?  BYU graduation is this week and since things are tough right now, it made me want to be back in Provo for some reason.  I was excited to graudate.  I wanted to move back east.  I wanted to do grad school.  I had more fire in me for that sort of thing.  And then...I moved back home to Mesa.  Didn't know why but it felt like the right thing to do at the time.  Anyhow, I do miss certain things about college and Provo.  I miss the spring and summers. I miss my Grandma. I miss the mountains.  I miss my ward, I miss Bishop Rose and Brother Henley, I miss my friends.  I miss college life in general.  I miss knowing I can go to J-Dogs if I wanted to.  (Not that I went there a lot, but it was an option then.)  But then I realized, I can't think that way.  I need to embrace where I am now.  I really don't think about Provo that much, but maybe more right now b/c it is getting hotter down here and I miss my life up there sometimes.  But life is about moving on, accepting change and trying to the very best you can. 

I believe Jenkin Lloyd Jones said it best:

“Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is just like an old time rail journey … delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”

I couldn't agree more with this quote.  Life is about appreciating the simple things in life.  I need to get back to having a gratitude journal I decided.

But I have learned or re-learned a few things this past year since becoming a BYU Alumni:

1. You learn WAY MORE hands on then in books
2.  There really are a lot of kids with speech and language delays
3. Student wards have a different vibe then singles wards.  Not sure why, but it seems like it
4. Family is great...but moving out and being back on your own is great too
5. People will still disappoint you, but you just have to try to forgive and serve them
6. BYU was REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hard but wonderful at the same time
7. There is life outside the library...I now go to check-out books
9. Take advantage of every opportunity you can; it may never come again
10. Having clean, considerate roommates is amazing
11. Your heart can still break. You can still feel pain and hurt and fear and frustration no matter what age or stage you are in.  It is part of life and you have to do you best to replace it with faith. 
13.  It is only when you take the focus off yourself, do you feel happier and more free from self-pitty and self doubt: Satan's greatest tool
12. And the Gospel is still true, we have a Heavenly Father and Savior who love us and are watching over us.  We just need to stay close to them and seek their spirit.  We can never go wrong if we do that.  I am going through the temple next week (no I am not engaged) and I am very excited for this experience.  I have been waiting a long time and I look forward to the spirit I will feel there and the covenants I will make. 

All in all, life is good.  As long as I passed the AEPA exam:) I find out next week.  It is now 1:12 AM and I need to try and get some sleep.  Long day.  8 kids to work with.  8 kids to try and help communicate more effectively (easier said then done).  8 goals to try and improve.  8 opportunites to be patient and loving and happy.

And in the final words of Jamie Oliver: Cheers!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Bekah! I enjoyed your post and the quote. Life does seem to get harder and harder but I guess that's the point! I miss you too and wish you were here in Provo. Remember all the good times out at the pool?? :) Oh and Jon in a speedo!?!?!

Nelson Family said...

Bekah, thanks for sharing, you always inspire me...you are an amazing person!! Life does have it's ups & downs no matter your age or where you live or what you are doing at the time. I too recently went through a very difficult time & had to do some deep soul searching. In the end though I learned who truly loved me, stuck by me, understood my pain, and got me through all of this...my loving family & friends and my sweet supportive
co-workers. Most importantly my Heavenly Father, I have learned how much He loves ME and He knows absolutely what is best for ME. He knows what's best for each one of us. I am so happy and at peace with my life right now and know I am very very blessed!! You are beautiful inside and out. I will keep watching for your posts that always uplift me!!

Nelson Family said...

PS...I am so excited that you are going through the Temple, there is no other place that can give us such great peace!