About Me

I graduated from BYU in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology and I am working as an SLPL at a school district. I enjoy it and it keeps me SUPER busy. I also teach spin classes at LA Fitness. I refuse to ever pay for a gym membership. I live with 2 awesome girls: Erika and Christina. I love Diet Dr. Pepper, ritz crackers, bunny tracks ice cream, shopping, cooking, sleeping, reading, and working out. I have the 4 cutest nephews in the world: Kaden, Jack, Nixon and Bentley and 1 adorable niece: Alena. This is my simple yet really awesome life!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cell Phone Obsession

This is a picture of my phone.  It is nice looking.  White.  I do like the color white.  But don't be fooled.
It is armed and dangerous.  I can't seem to get it to leave me alone.  But then again...we ALWAYS seem to have our phones within arms length.  Why exactly is this?  We didn't seem to need a phone constantly 10 years ago, so why now?  A girl that I do therapy with just turned 8 and guess what she got for her birthday?  You guessed it.  A CELL PHONE.  I about died.  Why in the world does an 8-year-old need a cell phone?  What does she possibly have to do or say that is so important that she needs a cell phone?  She needs to be out playing with her friends and exerting energy and riding her bike in the street like I did as a child.  Not answering a cell phone!  She can hardly read or say her /r/ sounds, so can you imagine what that would sound like through a phone?  Hello.

So anyhow, I make excuses that I need my cell phone for work.  Ok so that is a valid point since it has my email and I can view all my reports and spreadsheets on it, but what's the use of having it if I have to bring my laptop to work everyday?

But have you ever heard that scripture analogy to cell phones and what if we treated our cells phones like we treat our scriptures?  Well as much as I used to not pay much attention to that analogy, it is kind of true.  How often do we check our phones just to make a validation that we are important?  Once an hour? Once every half hour? Once every 10 minutes?  I mean seriously?

I worked at Old Navy last Saturday night and on my way to work, I realized I had left my phone on my bed. I immediately reacted and was going to turn around, but then thought why would I turn around?  I don't need it.  My mom already knows I am meeting her at Cafe Rio after work. So why do I need it?  I don't.  So I got to work and I realized what a freeing feeling it was.  I was so happy to not be tied to my dang phone.  It was a relief that no one could get ahold of me.  I didn't HAVE to answer.  I didn't HAVE to text back.  I didn't have an EMERGENCY that required my immediate attention (because let's face it...nine times out of ten, its not an emergency.) 

All I am trying to say is...I am kind of tired of my phone.  Granted I do need it at times, but I am finding that all this technology around kind of gives me headache.  Sometimes we need to stop and re-focus and smell the silence versus checking our phones to see if "what's his name" has called yet.

Phew.  I feel a lot beter. 

Call me...just kidding :)


3 comments:

Kelli said...

What does silence smell like?

Jolynn said...

I totally get what you are saying! Matt got me an i-phone, and I love it, but I hate it. Ever since I got that phone I spend so much more time checking stupid things I don't even care about like Facebook, cuz it's on there. I actually have thought about going back to the old crappy phone that only makes phone calls and texts.

Anonymous said...

True dat. However, you do owe me a phone call so I'm not letting this post get you off the hook. :)