
I finished reading this about a month ago and I didn't like it nearly as much as "A Thousand Splendid Suns" (as Melissa agrees with as well) but I thought it was a good read. Quite disturbing at some parts, that I wasn't quite prepared for, but I kept reading because of the factual information it provided and I had to know how it ended. Obviously it is fiction but it gives a great background of what it really is like in Afghanistan. I wanted to reach through the pages a few times and strangle the main character for his stupidity but it was still good.

This is probably the best book I have read in a really long time. It is so easy to read and follow and it really opened my eyes to how women are treated in the middle east. I really enjoyed Miriam and Laila and the character development. They were so strong and I loved Laila's independent spirit. I felt for both women through the entire book and just wanted justice for them and the horrible Rasheed they had to put up with. What an idiot! I love the love story between Tariq and Laila and I won't say anymore but you must read it. It doesn't happen very often that I want a book made into a movie but I will make a definite exception for this one.
Steven and I went and saw "Amelia" on Friday night. I was really excited to see it and Steven was just being a good boyfriend, but I may have got my hopes up a little too much. I think Hilary Swank is an incredible actress but it was soooo slow and it seemed like it just dragged. But what was I really expecting?? And I had no idea that Amelia Earhart was such a legend and so famous. She was the most famous women in the country for a really long time. You can see through the movie that she was a very assertive and a "no nonsense, get out of my way" type of women. But I guess you would have to be if you want to be the first woman to fly around the world. And I had no idea that the U.S. Government conducted the largest search in history when she and her navigator vanished somewhere over the Pacific Ocean. Don't let me discourage you...but I would wait until the dollar theater or DVD.

And I just had to post this cute picture of our firefighter and Harley Davidson biker. Baby Shumway still has not made an entrance but Rachel is going into the hospital tomorrow night at 9pm to be induced if he doesn't come on his own before then. So I will have pictures up very soon of the new baby.
I take the GRE on Saturday...I am so over it...
Steven and I didn't dress up for Halloween but I told him if we get married, next year we have to be Anderson Cooper and a news anchor because I think Steven kind of resembles Anderson Cooper. Why didn't' I think of that before Saturday night at like 9pm?? Duh...Oh well. It would have been so funny.
3 comments:
Cute kiddies! Your sis looks great. I'll have to catch up on some book reading on maternity leave. I am so far behind...
I'm sooo glad you liked it! I seriously wanted to cry/read the book again while reading your little review. And best of luck on the GRE! You'll do fantastically, I just know it.
Sounds like an interesting book...too bad I have so many fines at the library:(
I cant wait to see pics of Nixon!
Post a Comment