So my brother Spencer leaves tomorrow to the MTC! Crazy! I can hardly believe that. But I am fortunate enough to be the one taking him to the MTC. It is just easier for my parents that way especially for my Mom instead of going through the emotion of it all. She is already drained with one coming home and one leaving. And so I know I will just cry after I drop him off even though I will try and keep my composure while we are there of course but I highly doubt that. Haha. But I just love Spence so much and he has really turned into such a great kid and bro. I am so impressed with him and his kind heart. And since I am home in Mesa right now with not much to do, I am spending lots of time with him and I have done some shopping for my Mom while she is at work to get him completey ready. Last minute details!
But we had a cool experience today while we were at Walmart. I wanted to get him something nice and so I bought him the set of books they call the missionary library but he also wanted a new set of scriptures and so I just thought I would pitch in for that too but my funds are limited right now with not working and so I just figured I would take it out of my savings. So today while we were at Walmart, he went to the Desert Schools there to put a check in his checking account and while he was doing that with the bank teller, I just made the comment that we needed to go get his scriptures right after.
So we go to check out the stuff we bought at the store and the teller comes up to him and asked him about having to buy scriptures. He then asked Spencer if he is going on a mission and he told Spence that he went to Fiji and handed him $40 and said to put it towards his scriptures. It was so cool! I was so impressed and just right away wanted to do something nice for someone else. Goes to show it's contagious. And so we get to Desert Book, and I was just looking around at all the art work (I am a major sucker for art work at Desert Book) while Spencer and Danny were doing their thing and I saw this hanging on the wall.
I fell in love with it immediately and starting reading it to the boys and of course I got all choked up and started to cry and couldn't finish it. It's hard to ready from the picture but it says:
What Cancer Cannot Do
Cancer is so limited.
Yet in all things
It cannot criple love, it cannol alter hope.
We are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.
It cannot corrode faith; it cannot destroy peace,
For I am persuaded that neither death or life...
It cannot kill friendship, it cannot suppress memories,
Nor principalities nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, depth
It cannot silence courage, it cannot invade the soul.
Nor any created things, shall be able to separate us from the love of God.
It cannot steal eternal life, it cannot conquer the spirit.
Which is in Christ Jesus Our Lord.
Isn't that just amazing! And it can apply to anything. Not just cancer. Those who have a mental illness, or other physical illnesses and diseases. It applies to the fear we have about the unknowns in life and doubts we face. But I love the part about not being able to conquer the spirit. I was fully aware that my physical body was messed up big time and I was sicker than a dog but my patriarchal blessing tells me that I am to learn how to allow my spirit to rule my body. And with that, my spirit cannot be conquered. It is our physical bodies that are subject to all the diseases and sicknesses of this world but it is our spirit that can remain clean and untouched if we but stay pure and worthy and close to our Savior. That is one major major thing I learned. And the cool part about this story is that since Spencer had that extra $40, he was insistent that I use the money I was going to give him for his scriptures to buy it to hang on my wall in my room. What a cool blessing! So pay it forward people!! Do something nice for someone else today. My fifth grade teacher use to always tell me, "Bekah...what comes around goes around." (But she used to tell me that because I was a major brat )but what a truth that is. What we do...affects other people. Try and do one good deed everyday and it's even more fun when it's anonymous. But if your roommate knows your handwriting...type it:)
3 comments:
Sweet and special post. Loved spending time with you on Sunday. Will be thinking of you and Spencer being at the MTC tomorrow.
It's another red letter day for the Parkers!
That was an awesome post! Thank you for sharing that. Life is much better when people are nice! Ü
That is so funny that you bought that, because I saw the same exact thing, and was going to buy it for you. Great minds think alike!!!
Love ya Bekah!!!
It was so great to spend the weekend with the family.
Post a Comment