
Ok so you all know I am graduating in April. Exciting I know but also very scary. I have been trying to decide what I should do for the spring and summer. So I am going to list the 2 options, and I need your opinion.
1. Pursue an internship with Del Sol. This girl, Michelle, who is in my program wants me to do it with her. It is from May to August and all expenses are paid for while you receive bonuses. You are assigned to like Hawaii, the Bahamas, Aruba, ect. I can't think of a better way to spend my summer then in a tropical, sunny place. It has nothing to do with my major but would just be a lot of fun. It would be a nice break from the crazy and intense regimen I have been keeping for so long. But if I go, I won't get as much studying done for the GRE as I want and I kind of want to take it June/July. And I won't be as on top of it as I need to be with looking for a job. But it is Hawaii.
2. Stay here in Provo, study for the GRE and take it in June, and fly out to Boston/CT to pursue a job out there sometime in May. I would feel more prepared if I stay here in Provo and get ready for whatever happens for the Fall. My job here at BYU can't keep me because of a rule change within the last week and my boss tried to pull strings but it just didn't work. So I need to start searching for a job in the meantime. I wouldn't have to sell my contract at the Avenues and I could spend time more time with Code and Kelli and other friends and just relax. I have always taken spring and summer courses so it will be nice to not have to do that. But I do need to look for a job just for the spring and summer.
Ok there you have it. I know the first thought is to take the Del Sol internship but I have to make a logical, practical decision. One of my guy friends (he is my problem solver) walked me through it yesterday and he told me to take the internship but my planning, practical side says to stay here and get ready for a job in the Fall and prepare for my grad exam. I realize I have very little yellow in me. I am too much of a planner and sometimes I really don't know how to just let loose. So what do you think? I just need opinions.
1. Pursue an internship with Del Sol. This girl, Michelle, who is in my program wants me to do it with her. It is from May to August and all expenses are paid for while you receive bonuses. You are assigned to like Hawaii, the Bahamas, Aruba, ect. I can't think of a better way to spend my summer then in a tropical, sunny place. It has nothing to do with my major but would just be a lot of fun. It would be a nice break from the crazy and intense regimen I have been keeping for so long. But if I go, I won't get as much studying done for the GRE as I want and I kind of want to take it June/July. And I won't be as on top of it as I need to be with looking for a job. But it is Hawaii.
2. Stay here in Provo, study for the GRE and take it in June, and fly out to Boston/CT to pursue a job out there sometime in May. I would feel more prepared if I stay here in Provo and get ready for whatever happens for the Fall. My job here at BYU can't keep me because of a rule change within the last week and my boss tried to pull strings but it just didn't work. So I need to start searching for a job in the meantime. I wouldn't have to sell my contract at the Avenues and I could spend time more time with Code and Kelli and other friends and just relax. I have always taken spring and summer courses so it will be nice to not have to do that. But I do need to look for a job just for the spring and summer.
Ok there you have it. I know the first thought is to take the Del Sol internship but I have to make a logical, practical decision. One of my guy friends (he is my problem solver) walked me through it yesterday and he told me to take the internship but my planning, practical side says to stay here and get ready for a job in the Fall and prepare for my grad exam. I realize I have very little yellow in me. I am too much of a planner and sometimes I really don't know how to just let loose. So what do you think? I just need opinions.
13 comments:
I'm going to go with staying in Provo. A GRE is a big thing to be studying for and unless you know your future employer will be impressed with said internship, I would be less inclined to do it with graduation at hand. I sound really foreboding don't I? Sorry...
Um, I think we are planning soulmates. I also say to stay in Provo. As much as I hate to say it, I think the economy should play a major part in your decision, and preparing for a job is, in my mind, your best bet.
And just think, wouldn't that tropical paradise trip be funner with your husband? So make it a goal to go and start planning and saving like crazy!
I don't know.... the first thing that came to my mind was pray about it. He's the only one that's going to know what you should do! That's my answer!
I think you should take the intership. When would you have the chance to do that again?! It would be fun and a good growing experience. Your practical side may want to stay in Utah because that's the secure thing to do. GO live and have some fun!
Okay, while reading through that I just feel like Provo is better because it's one less thing to have to worry about. You don't have to sell your contract, move, then move back, and stress over your GRE. This will give you time to truly relax, have fun with friends, and prepare for Boston.
I'm just the type of person when too many things are going on I get nervous so I think that's why I like staying in Provo better.
I can understand that this is a once in a lifetime thing... so it just depends on what you're up for. Do you want time to relax, put your life back in order from all the caziness of school, or go on an adventure and then be in full speed before Boston. Either way I'm sure you're going to have a blast :)
Geez, thats a tough one. There would probably be way less for you to worry about if you stayed in Provo and prepared yourself for everything.
But man, Hawaii?....you would LOVE IT! But who knows maybe you'll get to go there on your honeymoon or something..so the experience wont totally be lost if you turn it down now.
I guess in the end you just have to pray about it!
Bekah-I took the GRE in January. It's not as terrible as people make it out to be and that is coming from someone who hasn't been in school for 2 years. Trust me, you would still do well even if you only studied 5 hours a week for a month. It's not that bad really. Just work on the vocab and review the math. That is the key to the GRE. I recommend Princeton Review's "How to Crack the GRE". It's like $20 at Barnes and Noble. Start randomly studying the vocab now and then during the month before you take it, study the math and sample problems at least 5 hours a week. You could totally do this in Hawaii.
Hawaii is tempting (and you would totally have a blast!!), but so is an internship or job in the field you want to eventually work in. Experience is crucial when it comes to looking for a career job. I suggest going for the Del Sol internship (how fun!!) OR taking an internship in UT or AZ (or wherever) in your field. It will look good on grad school applications to have an internship in the field. If you stay in Provo, try and find an internship in your field.
If you have GRE questions, let me know. Love you girl. Good luck with the decision. It will be a great time whatever you decide!
Would you regret either of them? Like of you stayed in Provo, would you be like, "Man! I should have gone to Hawaii!"?
If you feel good about them both, then you can't go wrong.
If one gives you anxiety...go with the other. Anxiety can be a sign of something you shouldn't do. (I felt anxiety about going to Hawaii with Lena and Holly over a summer...I wanted to go SO bad, but I never felt good about it).
Best of luck to you and your big decision!! :)
There are so many thoughts running through my head on this subject... I am a lot like you, where I like to be prepared, and plan, and all of those things. I never left Provo for any type of adventure while I was in college. And I had a blast staying there with the girls! However, one of my big regrets is that I never did go on a study abroad, internshipish type thing. Sometimes you have to remember that life needs to be adventurous and fun too! It seems like a once in a lifetime chance, that really wouldn't be the same with a husband or kids. However, if you do have Boston to look forward to, that could be your big adventure! If I know you, you would be prepared for the GRE even if you went to Hawaii, because you have that discipline in you. Only your gut and the Lord can REALLY help you on this one! Good luck!
I have two answers for you:
1) My selfish answer - Stay in Provo!! I hate losing friends over the summer, especially when they are going to do something totally sweet that I would be extremely jealous of.
2) My selfless answer - Take the internship. You are going to have plenty of time to plan and be responsible and practical in life. Take the opportunity while you don't have anything tying you down to do something fun!! Especially if expenses are paid. I wish I had done something cool like that. I will forever be jealous of Code and Dayna and Stacie for doing internships on the East coast and Kristie for doing a service abroad in the Dominican Republic. I chose the practical boring road, and wish I would've done something more fun.
Good luck choosing!!
I would be so excited and happy if you stayed in Provo bc i love being around you and we just got to be friends. But i would say that you need to pray and fast about it to know what is best for you to do. Our heavenly father is really the only one who can help you in this decision.I think the GRE is a big thing and you want to do well on it to help with your future possibilites with grad schools. You awesome bekah and whatever decision is made i will be excited for you. I secertly will pray that you stay here in provo so i can have a friend.
You really just need to LIVE life Bekah you are too much of a planner.. goodness... I think your mom would want you to explore and see the World instead of staying within your comfort zone in Provo. Tell me the last time you jut did someone for the fun of it, instead of thinking it through... WAY TOO MUCH???
Fifty years from now when you look back at your life - which would make your smile more? A trip to Hawaii or Provo?
There's your answer!
(Heather's mom)
Post a Comment