

So I have always wondered to myself why it is that Mesa people marry each other. I always think of how big a world it is out there and how many people there are to date and get to know better. And when I first moved away to BYU every one in my ward would always warn me I was going there to get married, but on the contrary, if you want to get married, you stay in Mesa. But within the past 6 months I have been on dates with 4 Mesa boys and it finally hit me tonight when I went out with one why it is that Mesa people marry Mesa people.
1. You have so much to talk about. You grew up in the same city for crying out loud! You both know where everything is, who lives where, what great places there are to eat, hang out, the Suns, the Diamondbacks and now the Cardinals.
2. You know the same people and there seems to be a connection to everyone! The Mesa world really is so big and even up here at school. I see people from home every single day and it is kind of nice. It's kind of your home away from home.
3. You don't have to deal with the complications of deciding where to live. Do I move to where his family is from or do we move to Mesa? I had to really consider moving to the south at one point and I just could never fully come to terms with it so thank goodness I don't have to anymore.
4. I don't have to feel bad that I WILL be getting married in the Mesa temple. Some guys don't really care but when you date one that does, it ends up being like a 2 hour conversation and you feel bad for being so stubborn about it. And you only have to have 1 reception/dinner. My mom likes this one the best. Besides having me around of course:)
5. Your kids are able to grow up around both sets of families and know their cousins. I am still a fan of being away for awhile on your own as a married couple, but it would be fun to end up in Mesa, if that is where you are both from.
6. Most guys from Mesa like country music!
7. Mesa is pretty much the greatest place in the world! Well...it was for me growing up but who the heck knows where I will end up. It would just be my luck we end up in Australia or something. Actually, that would be kind of fun.
Ok that is all I thought of tonight so if all you Mesa people have any pros....lay it one me! I know there are some negatives too but My opinion has changed about Mesa people marrying Mesa people. But I still don't want to move home when I graduate which means I probably won't be one to marry within the Mesa world, but I finally understand.
1. You have so much to talk about. You grew up in the same city for crying out loud! You both know where everything is, who lives where, what great places there are to eat, hang out, the Suns, the Diamondbacks and now the Cardinals.
2. You know the same people and there seems to be a connection to everyone! The Mesa world really is so big and even up here at school. I see people from home every single day and it is kind of nice. It's kind of your home away from home.
3. You don't have to deal with the complications of deciding where to live. Do I move to where his family is from or do we move to Mesa? I had to really consider moving to the south at one point and I just could never fully come to terms with it so thank goodness I don't have to anymore.
4. I don't have to feel bad that I WILL be getting married in the Mesa temple. Some guys don't really care but when you date one that does, it ends up being like a 2 hour conversation and you feel bad for being so stubborn about it. And you only have to have 1 reception/dinner. My mom likes this one the best. Besides having me around of course:)
5. Your kids are able to grow up around both sets of families and know their cousins. I am still a fan of being away for awhile on your own as a married couple, but it would be fun to end up in Mesa, if that is where you are both from.
6. Most guys from Mesa like country music!
7. Mesa is pretty much the greatest place in the world! Well...it was for me growing up but who the heck knows where I will end up. It would just be my luck we end up in Australia or something. Actually, that would be kind of fun.
Ok that is all I thought of tonight so if all you Mesa people have any pros....lay it one me! I know there are some negatives too but My opinion has changed about Mesa people marrying Mesa people. But I still don't want to move home when I graduate which means I probably won't be one to marry within the Mesa world, but I finally understand.
9 comments:
maybe this is a better way for us to communicate, because even though you can't find 30 minutes to call me I know that you will find 30 minutes to blog search. Just kidding! I know how busy you are, call me whenever you can and good luck on your tests! and thank you for changing your opinion on Mesa people marrying Mesa people, since I live here that will probably be my fate...my very far away fate, that is.
It's true. it is the best...I have to say. I don't know what I would do if I moved away from this place. AAHHH!!!!
Haha...it's sooo true. And yes...I support the not moving back home decision. It sucks. I'm living at home (temporarily) and can't wait til I make it back to DC. But I sure do love it here and would love to end up here some day!
One other reason is you don't have to rotate holidays. My husband is from Cali {which his parents and one sister still live there}, but most of his family is in Utah right now. So at Thanksgiving and Christmas time it's 3 choices. Do we spend it here, in Mesa, in California with his parents, or in Utah with most of his family! aaahhh! Very frustrating, because who has money around the holidays to travel! So this year we get to have Thanksgiving in Mesa, and he gets to pick where Christmas is spent. Then next year it's my year for Christmas, and he gets Thanksgiving! Marry someone from Mesa!!!!!
hmmm....are you alluding to any mesa boys in particular??
you are too funny .... I love it .. in the begining of my marriage around the 2nd 3rd year i so wished i married someone from mesa or anywhere in Arizona (that's near mesa) lol ha ha .. well it took me almost 9 years to convince my husband to move to here and now we REALLY LIVE here i LITERALLY live right across from "the mesa stake center" it took from Cali...to Florida to me basically running back home with open arms..hopefully we stay for good there is always a possibility we could move...but it's not anytime soon ... i hope..;0) so yeah if you wanna LIVE in Mesa,Arizona near your family for good or at least have no arguments of where you should raise your family marry someone from here it will make it alot easier on life but if you do fall in love with someone who doesn't get it and is not from your hometown life could be a little harder but you never know why the lord may want you somewhere for a purpose... and i can keep going on and on and on...but i will spare you of my rambles..;o) i guess what i'm trying to say is "MESA PEOPLE" RULE...;o) lol
A ton of my friends from my hometown have all married each other too! I think people in general want to marry someone from around their hometown for lots of different reasons. You're brought up in a similar circumstance so it seems like it'd be easier for the two people to understand how or why the other works the way they do. Make sense?
Is it okay if it's an Arizona Boy and an Arizona Girl, since neither Jim and I are originally from Mesa (although we have lived in Mesa for over 26 years...and there is no place like Mesa)? Did you say you went to New York City? Jim & I have 2 tickets from Southwest Airlines we need to use up & Jim's Dad is trying to work out a "deal" for us with a hotel there to go next month!! If you have any pointers of suggestions let me know. I hope school and life is going well for you!!
Bekah...I'm bored. Put up another post! :)
Post a Comment